Publications in Refereed International Journals Listed by ISI Citation Indices (SCI)
17) O. Dogan, V. Esat, B.Bal*, “Experimental investigation on chloroprene and acrylonitrile butadiene rubber types reinforced with nano-materials” Materials Research Express , 6 (2019), 1-29.
16) B.Bal, I.B. Tugluca, N. Koc, A. Isoglu, “On the Detailed Mechanical Response Investigation of an Electrospun PHBV/ PCL and PHBV/ PLGA Membranes” Materials Research Express, 6 (2019), 065411.
15) B.Bal*, K.K.Karaveli, B. Cetin, B.Gumus, “The Precise Determination of the Johnson-Cook Material and Damage Model Parameters and Mechanical Properties of Aluminum 7068-T651 Alloy”, 141 (2019), Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 041001-041011.
14) N. Tüten, D. Canadinc, A. Motallebzadeh, B.Bal, “Microstructure and tribological properties of TiTaHfNbZr high entropy alloy coatings deposited on Ti-6Al-4V substrates”, Intermetallics, 105 (2019), 99-106.
13) I.B. Tugluca, M. Koyama, Y. Shimomura, B.Bal, D. Canadinc, E. Akiyama, K. Tsuzaki, “Lowering strain rate simultaneously enhances carbon- and hydrogen-induced mechanical degradation in an Fe-33Mn-1.1C steel: multi-scale localized plasticity”, Metallurgical and Materials Transctions A, 1 (2019), 1-5.
12) B.Bal*, “A study of different microstructural effects on the strain hardening behavior of Hadfield steel” International Journal of Steel and Structures, 18 (2018), 13-23.
11) I.B.Tuğluca, M.Koyama, B.Bal, D. Canadinc, E. Akiyama, K. Tsuzaki, “High-concentration carbon assists plasticity-driven hydrogen embrittlement in a Fe-high Mn steel with a relatively high stacking fault energy”, Materials Science & Engineering A, 717 (2018), 78-84.
10) B.Bal*, M. Koyama, D. Canadinc, G. Gerstein, H. J. Maier, K. Tsuzaki, “Uncovering the individual roles of different hardening mechanisms on the deformation response of Fe-23Mn-0.5C TWIP steel” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 140 (2018), 031002.
9) B.Bal*, “Numerical Investigation of the Role of Volumetric Transformation Strain on the Relaxation Stress and the Corresponding Hydrogen Interstitial Concentration in Niobium Matrix” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2017 (2017), Article ID: 2036516 (7 pages).
8) B.Bal*, M. Koyama, G. Gerstein, H. J. Maier, K. Tsuzaki, “Microstructure characterization of hydrogenated twinning-induced plasticity steel deformed at different strain rates” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 41 (2016), 15362-15372.
7) B.Bal, I. Sahin, A. Uzun D. Canadinc, “Numerical and experimental investigation of the role of hydrogen interstitial on the microstractural interactions and overall material response” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 47 (2016), 5409-5522.
6) B. Gumus, B.Bal, G. Gerstein, D. Canadinc, H. J. Maier, “Twinning activity in high-manganese austenitic steels under high velocity loading” Materials Science and Technology, 32 (2016), 463-465.
5) B.Bal, B. Gumus, D. Canadinc, “Incorporation of dynamic strain aging into a Visco-Plastic Self-Consistent model for predicting the negative strain rate sensitivity of Hadfield steel” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 138 (2016), 1-8.
4) O.Onal, B.Bal, D. Canadinc, E. Akdari, “Experimental and Numerical Evaluation of Thickness Reduction in Steel Plate Heat Exchangers” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 137 (2015), 041008.
3) B.Bal, B. Gumus, G. Gerstein, D. Canadinc, H. J. Maier, “On the micro-deformation mechanisms active in high-manganese austenitic steels under impact loading” Materials Science and Engineering A 632(2015) 29–34.
2) B. Gumus, B.Bal, G. Gerstein, D. Canadinc, H. J. Maier, M. Elmadağlı, F. Güner, “Twinning activities in high-Mn austenitic steels under high-velocity compressive loading” Materials Science and Engineering A 648 (2015) 104-112.
1) O.Onal, B.Bal, S.M.Toker, M. Mirzajanzadeh, D.Canadinc, H.J.Maier, “Microstructure-based Modeling of the Impact Response of Biomedical Niobium-Zirconium Alloy” Journal of Materials Research 29 (2014) 1123.
Publications in Refereed National Journals Listed by ULAKBİM Indices
1) B.Bal, “On the Precise Determination of Material Response and Optimization of Johnson-Cook Damage Parameters of Aluminium 7075 Alloy” Selcuk University Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 6 (2018) 343-354.
Publications in Refereed Conference Proceedings
3) B.Bal, M. Yerlitas, B. Çetin, H. Meço, “A Comparative Study on Hydrogen Embrittlement Mechanisms”, The 18th International Conference on Machine Design and Production, 2018.
2) H. Najam, B.Bal, Ü. Ramazan, “Material Selection for Knee Exoskeleton Frame”, The International Conference on Materials Science, Machine and Automotive Engineerings and Technology, 2018.
1) M. Tarhan, B.Bal, V. Esat, “Optimization of Automobile Interior Design Parameters to Mitigate the Effects of Full Frontal and Oblique Collisions”, The 15th International Conference on Machine Design and Production, 2012.
2) F. M. Malik, S. F. Ali, B.Bal, E. F. Kececi, “Determination of Optimum Process Parameter Values in Additive Manufacturing for Impact Resistance” IGI Global, 2018. 1) S. F. Ali, F. M. Malik, E. F. Kececi, B.Bal, “Experimental Determination of Optimum Parameter Values in Additive Manufacturing for Layer Sticking” IGI Global, 2018.
11) K. K. Karaveli, B.Bal, “The Mechanical Responses of Lightweight Aluminum Alloys and Their Applications” 3th International Conference on Material Science and Technology in Cappadocia (IMSTEC’18), Nevsehir/Turkey, September 17-19, 2018. 10)K. K. Karaveli, B. Gumus, B.Bal, “Comparing the Mechanical Response of Al 7075 and Al 7068”, The International Conference on Materials Science, Machine and Automotive Engineerings and Technology, Cesme/İzmir, April 10-12, 2018.
9) I. B. Tuğluca, B.Bal, M. Koyama, “Effects of chemical composition and hydrogen charging on the mechanical response of slip-dominated high manganese austenitic steel”, The International Conference on Materials Science, Machine and Automotive Engineerings and Technology, Cesme/İzmir, April 10-12, 2018.
8) B.Bal, A. Isoglu, M. Koyama, "Hydrogen Embrittlement susceptibility of high strength steel”, Advances in Functional Materials (AFM, in UCLA), August 14-17, 2017
7) B.Bal, “Hydrogen Embrittlement susceptibility of TWIP steel”, International Energy and Engineering Conference 2016, October 13-14, 2016.
6) B.Bal, K. Tsuzaki, “Uncovering the individual roles of different hardening mechanisms on the deformation response of Fe-Mn-C austenitic steels”, Centre for research on i-s interaction and mechanical property in steel, March 12-13, 2016.
5) B.Bal, D. Canadinc, “Multi-scale modeling of Hydrogen Embrittlement”, TMS annual meeting, February 14-18, 2016.
4) B.Bal, Joint HYDROGENIUS and I2CNER International Workshop on Hydrogen-Materials Interactions}, February 4, 2016.
3) B.Bal, ICMSET 2014: XII International Conference on Material Science and Engineering Technology, December 30-31, 2014.
2) C. Ozmenci, B. Gumus, B.Bal, S.M. Toker, D. Canadinc, “Modeling Slip-Twin Interactions in High-Manganese Austenitic Steels”, 3rd International Workshop on Physics-Based Modelling of Material Properties and Experimental Observations with special focus on Plasticity and Creep, June 2-4, 2014.
1) S.M.Toker, O.Onal, B.Bal, D.Canadinc, “Thorough Investigation of the Role of Anisotropy on the Impact Response of NbZr - A Potential Biomedical Alloy for Orthopedic and Dental Implants”, International Conference on Processing and Manufacturing of Advanced Materials}, Dec 2-6, 2013, Rio Hotel, Las Vegas, USA.
“Utilizing Multi-Scale Modeling and Experimentation to Uncover the Role of Micro-Deformation Mechanisms on the Performance of High-Strength Steels”, Ph.D. Thesis, Koç University, Turkey, 2015
Fellowship and Research Grants
8) ”Determination of Hydrogen Embrittlement Behavior of Armor Steels via Experimental Methods and Optimization the Hydrogen Removal Operation”, Turkish Republic Presidency of Defence Industries, Principal Investigator, 06.2019-06.2021. Budget: 180.000 TL
7) ”Design of the Experimental Setup of Hydrogen Charging System to Investigate the Hydrogen Embrittlement Susceptibility of High Strength Steels used in Defense Industry”, TUBİTAK 2209/B, 01.2019-06.2019, Academic Advisor. Budget: 3.795 TL
6) ”More Comprehensive and Accurate Analysis of Machining Outputs Through Multi-Scale Material Modeling”, TUBİTAK 3001, Principal Investigator, 08.2018-08.2020. Budget: 71.000 TL
5) ”Investigation of the Effects of Different Microstructural Variables on the Strain Hardening Response of Fe-33Mn Steel”, TUBİTAK 1002, 08.2018-08.2019. Budget: 28.000 TL
4) ”Multiscale modeling of mechanical behavior of high-manganese austenitic steels”, AGU BAP, Principal Investigator, 09.2017-09.2019. Budget: 95.485,13 TL
3) ”Mechanical Characterization of Aluminum Alloys”, ASELSAN, Principal Investigator.03.2017-06.2017 Budget: 28.400 TL
2) ”Lightweight and Compact Wearable Exoskeleton Design and Development”, AGU BAP, Principal Investigator, 02.2017-02.2019. Budget: 99.152,64 TL
1) ”Tackling a critical problem in materials used in hydrogen storage: Crack propagation in the presence of hydrogen embrittlement”, TUBİTAK 2219, 01.2017-01.2018, Principal Investigator. Budget: $30.000